Friday, 28 December 2012

When skies are grey...

...there isn't much to be done! Things have been so wet and miserable, I haven't even had a chance to get out and take part in the BTO Winter Thrush Survey so far this week. There hasn't been a day without steady rain and a degree of wind meaning that most of my efforts have remained indoors aside from feeding up the feeding sites at Brook Vale and Kings Moss.

Whilst making the last two visits at Kings Moss, the numbers of winter finches has been starting to build up with Yellowhammers becoming more apparent and Brambling always present. The majority of the birds, now frequenting the ground seed in the set-aside, were Greenfinch and Chaffinch, although there were a fair few Goldfinch about on the Christmas visit.

At Brook Vale, things were much quieter and much wetter. The channels on the reserve were full to the brim and the water level in the reed bed was as high as I have seen it. There were at least eight Water Rail present when I visited this morning although I presume there were many more. Aside from a flock of fourteen Goldfinches, it was pretty quiet.

I had two significant surprises over the Christmas break, first was the Ring-necked Parakeet that flew over Moxey's house on Christmas Day. The second, was a new addition to the Scouse Ringer household and completely unplanned.....at least on my part it was.......meet Darwin - Tineke's gift to me.

Darwin - the minature pinscher

I'm now off to spend a few days in Holland and I wont return until the New Year and reminiscent of last year, December has been a wet and largely ineffective month for ringing. I'll have an annual review as well as my top three birds of the year when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment