Saturday, 5 February 2011

A little bit bleugh!

On Friday night, I met up with Moxey to fill the feeders at Brook Vale and do a little bit of extra clearance now that the days are getting longer. The feeders were only half empty, but that was probably due to the wind speed causing the feeders to be bobbing all over the place. We were able to clear some over hanging willow at the back of the feeding station, opening up a small patch of open water at the fringe of the reed bed. A female Sparrowhawk hunting at dusk and a Buzzard coming in to roost were the only highlights of this hour on Rimrose.

Understandably, ringing was off this morning. The wind has been gusting at upto 40 mph overnight and a constant drizzle that strengthened during the morning meant that mist-netting would have been impossible. Instead, myself and Tineke met up with Neil Diamond at the National Trust Property at Formby Point to scope out possible ringing sites to investigate. A flock of 20-30 Linnet, a mixed flock of finches and a possible Tree Sparrow leaves me hopeful that one of the two sites that Neil is going to start feeding will prove fruitful.

Following our jaunt around the dunes, we headed up to Croston and later Leyland to spend an exorbitant amount of money on bird food that should hopefully see us through to the summer. I'm pretty sure I saw sparks coming from the back of my Clio as we lumbered back to Liverpool with close to 350kg of bird seed in the back!

I then had to shoot in to Liverpool for my penultimate session with Neil Hargreaves of Dermagraffiti who has been tattooing me since September. The piece is really starting to come together now and after twelve hours, I'm read for it to be done!

The weather looks better for tomorrow but I'm not sure if we will be about...maybe some Coot are on the cards...in the meantime, enjoy some shots from when I was in Canada.

An after hatch-year Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)

An after hatch-year Male Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)

A much younger Scouse Ringer and Moxey, demonstrating bird banding to the eager masses!

Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)

Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philidelphia)

No comments:

Post a Comment