Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Coot sighting

Whilst we haven't ringed large numbers of Coot lately, let alone colour-ringed as much as we would have liked to (might have something to do with so many already being colour-ringed at Southport), I did manage to get a couple at Crosby Marina recently. I got an email from Kane on Sunday when I was on my way to see the Waxwings telling me that we had gotten a sighting. Excellent I thought! Having seen more Coot than I ever had when I was in Zealand, Holland I was hoping for a North Sea crossing, something exotic! However that was not to be and the Coot had turned up in the Potteries at Westport Lake in Stoke-on-Trent.


The bird in question, Coot (Fulica atra)

This is the first sighting of a SW Lancs RG Coot outside of the area, hopefully the first of many!

1 comment:

  1. Umm - with around 1500 Coot on Southport Marine Lake -there's lots more to be colour ringed!! May have something to do with time ;-)

    ReplyDelete